- Monday, 3 December --- Video:
- The windows in the front finally arrived & were installed
today. We're only waiting on a couple of more windows: the kitchen
and office, it looks like one side of the front door, and the
sliding doors to the family room which came the wrong size.
- Tuesday, 4 December --- Video:
- Wednesday, 5 December --- Video:
- I met with the door man about our doors. We're doing some
basic panel doors inside, with standard hardware. We're not
putting moulding around the doors like normal people, rather
we're simply going to have the drywall rounded into the doorway.
One less place for dust to collect. It turns out this means
we need to know a bunch more about the doors now than normal.
We're doing something similar at the floor -- the floor
moulding is going to be flush with the wall instead of the
standard which is sticking out 1/2'' or so. Where the wall meets
the floor, we're going to use some small quarter-round. This
is what we have now & we really like it.
- Thursday, 6 December --- Video:
- Friday, 7 December --- Video:
- The remainder of the driveway was poured today which pretty
much finishes off the drainage system. This guarantees no more
rain this year!
A couple of years ago we had to pour the driveway approach.
This seemed rather odd (building the approach before even
having house plans), but Santa Cruz Public Works insisted that
either we do it straight away, or they'd do it & charge
us. So, we did it. Obviously it wasn't going to be correct
when we built the house, and it wasn't. Part of it needed
to be removed & re-poured. Oh well.
Finally, we had the name, ``Casa de York'' embedded at the
driveway entrance in 4'' brass letters. This should make
selling the house (if we ever do) interesting. Lynn also
etched all of our names into the concrete to one side.
- Monday, 10 December --- Video:
Over the weekend the back of the house (to the left) was covered
with felt & wire to prepare for stucco. I think the stucco
is going on fairly soon, possibly before Christmas.
- Tuesday, 11 December --- Video:
- Wednesday, 12 December --- Video:
- Thursday, 13 December --- Video:
- Friday, 14 December --- Video:
- Monday, 17 December --- Video:
- Tuesday, 18 December --- Video:
- Wednesday, 19 December --- Video:
- Thursday, 20 December --- Video:
- Friday, 21 December --- Video:
- Monday, 24 December --- Video:
- Tuesday, 25 December --- Video:
- Wednesday, 26 December --- Video:
- Thursday, 27 December --- Video:
- There hasn't been much to say, so I've not been saying much.
The biggest thing to happen in the last couple of weeks is
the explosion of the budget. Until recently, we had been at
or under budget, then, all of a sudden, it simply exploded!
It was ugly. Green & red everywhere (oddly appropriate
for the season). Here are the details:
- doors -- all of our doors are going to be panel doors.
It was bid for plain (ick) doors. Oh well, over budget here.
It wasn't too much though.
- kitchen cabinets -- yep, we went over here too. Again, not
- other cabinets -- here's where the explosion hit. We
decided on a bunch of built-in and custom cabinets that
were not originally bid:
- office -- book cases & cabinetry
- family room -- entertainment center
- dining room -- we've an antique buffet & want
a matching case above it.
- kid's bedrooms -- the closet floors are going to
have drawers underneath, raising them 2'.
- kid's bathroom -- custom vanity. This might go.
- master bathroom -- custom vanity
- washer/dryer closet -- a simply drawer underneath
Like other things, these should all have been in the original
bid & we simply weren't paying enough attention to detail.
We knew what we wanted, why didn't
everyone read out minds?
That being said, everything is going smoothly. No
catastrophes, few surprises. We've had quite a bit of
rain over the last few weeks & the drainage system
is working really well. A lot more water is coming from the
sump pump at the bottom of the retaining walls than I
would have expected. Aaron
has made a few good suggestions about things we should
either do, or consider doing when we're in.
I'm working on the driveway movie, and am thinking about
doing a ``month-in-review'' movie for each month.
- Friday, 28 December --- Video:
- Saturday, 29 December --- Video:
- Sunday, 30 December --- Video:
- Monday, 31 December --- Video: